Monday, February 20, 2012

Two Week Bridge Inspection Course


The past weeks I was taking the NHI Safety Inspection of In-Service Bridges course.

Since I've been doing bridge design, ratings and inspections for a few years now I already had a good grasp on a lot of the topics but it gave me a more in depth knowledge into the appraisal and condition ratings of bridge elements and items.

I'd recommend anyone working in the bridge engineering, construction or maintenance to take a look at the course. It also gives you 60 hours towards your professional development.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Eric, it seems like a very useful course. But (I always have a but, Ha!) what does bug me is I can design a bridge but I'm not certified to inspect it without the course.

A while back I sent a letter to the feds asking if I could "test out" of the course but they didn't have that option....

Keep up the good work!

Stuart

Always Civil said...

Stuart that's a great point and a few states are starting to make this a required training course for design managers on design and retrofit projects.

I think the course helps designers see the flaws in previous designs and how current design standards are changing, such as reducing the number of deck joints, fatigue prone details, etc.

It was also a great networking experience for a young engineer like me. Thanks bringing up that point!

Eric