Saturday, September 24, 2011

Newport Bridge Inspection


This coming week I will be down in Newport RI to inspect the Pell Bridge. This will also be my last week with WSP Sells, as I start my new job with Michael Baker Engineering on the 3rd. 

The Pell bridge carries RI Route 138 from Newport to Jamestown and has a structure length of 11,247 feet with a maximum span of 1,601 feet. at the highest point the deck is about 200 feet above the water and over 400 high at the tops of the towers. luckily I'm not afraid of heights!
The past few weeks the bridge has been inspected from water level on a barge with an 80 foot manlift. This coming week we will be using two 62 foot snoopers (under bridge inspection units). We will be able to see about 2/3 of the underside from our first setup and later able to inspect the remainder from the other side.

From what I've heard the Pell has the longest suspension span in New England and is ranks 75th in the world.






2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello, I know this is digging up the distant past, but I am currently working on a research project in school that is surprising relevant to what you have posted (thanks Google!). I am investigating novel means to inspect public infrastructure and one of my case studies will be the Newport bridge. Part of this work is to investigate the economic feasibility of the project. Where I could really use your help is in letting me know how long this inspection took (looks like maybe 3 weeks from your post) and about how much it might have cost. I'm not sure if you have, or ever had that info (or if you remember that job 2 years ago), but anything you could offer would be incredible.

Thanks,
Rob

Always Civil said...

Hey Rob
I don't remember the budget for the inspection and I have since switched companies.

I do know that the inspection is broken down into two or three phases. The approach spans, main span and the cables. (A little hazy after a few years)

The bridge is maintained by the RI Turnpike and Bridge Authority. You might be able to get the exact information from them since it should be public record.

I found some meeting minutes online, you might be able to dig deeper but it has the cost for inspecting the approach spans and diving.

http://sos.ri.gov/documents/publicinfo/omdocs/minutes/4304/2012/28207.pdf

Also noticed you play for Worcester RFC, I play for Boston Maccabi RFC. Hope your season is gong well. Let me know if you need anymore information.

Thornleye@gmail.com

Eric